XYO4+ Sentinel Mounting

Hi every one, I made three different mounting brackets for the Sentinels so I could have them in a fairly secure fixed position not just lying around or swinging, hanging by their hole. One has a flat back for double sided tape, one fastens with a screw, and the last with a zip tie. If you are interested in any of them and know some one with a 3D printer they are published on the thingiverse site at www.thingiverse.com/thing:3363828. I tried getting in contact the XYO guys but apparently they were not interested so I published them under the Creative Commons non derivative non commercial license after waiting a week.

4 Likes

I dont know if most libraries in america has a 3d printer (i know newark, new jersey public library does). Maybe you could visit your local library?

1 Like

Hi George, I think you misunderstood me. I have all ready made and refined the design as I am the one who designed the holders. I’ve printed out all I need for now and have posted the design files on Thingiverse under the Creative commons non derivative, non commercial status. Being the designer I can grant commercial status to whom ever wants to start making them for sale.

2 Likes

@Coldcountryboy Wow nice job! I like it a lot, that would actually help me out in lots of situations, mounting in my car, on my keys, on devices, at high traffic areas! Would love to know some details of your finished product, like how tight is the Sentinel fit in the holder(does it take a reasonable amount of force to remove it or would a tiny fall make it pop out?). How thick is the backside?(that sounds like such a terrible question Lmao…Phrasing). Thanks, would love to even purchase some off of you or maybe go into the commercial sale with you. Thanks

ReconCatLord :telescope::cat2::crown:

1 Like

Thanks ReconCatLord,
Thanks it took me a while to design them and gives one an appreciation and a little insight on how some of the different things are made.
As of just a little while ago I had 158 views and 12 downloads on the design as posted in Thingiverse. I you want talk and or some more information I can be contacted at oldfashiondgent@gmail.com

1 Like

Hey Coldcountryboy,
Your mounting brackets look great. I’m wondering if you can design a case? Something that has your mounting bracket as a back and then a faceplate that snaps onto the front. Maybe with some sort of lip that makes the case waterproof so the sentinels can be mounted outside. I could then mount one in a high traffic area outside without having to worry about it getting wet.
Cheers,
Jackoat

3 Likes

Hi, I should be able to. Just have to get cracking and might have one designed yet this evening as I have thought about it but didn’t have a real reason to, So far you and ReconCatLord are the only one that have really shown an interest. I thought that the XYO company would have been interested but they have never returned ANY of my emails.

1 Like

It’s too bad they have no interest but it presents a great opportunity for you. I guess they are happy making money on their new “black boxes” and working hard to get the system operational.
I look forward to seeing your new design. I wish I had the funding to get into the commercial sale side.
Jackoat

1 Like

I wish I could too. LOL, Getting dies made knocks it out for me. I just blew all my mad money just buying stock and a mining kit. I even ask XYO if they would do a trade for a black box kit but no luck. Got a design on the 3D printer now for a cover for the screw one and will have to see how it works. Which type of holder would work best for you? Double sided tape one, Zip tie or the one held on by a drywall screw? I have one mounted under the front mirror in the Jeep with double sided tape and it works fine for me. You have to look fairly hard to even see it.

1 Like

They fit a little loose but are held in pretty good by the retention lug, but take a good bit of force to remove them and that can be adjusted by filing down the retention lug until it is to your liking. I (cringe) have drooped one with one of my sentinels in it and it didn’t pop out or luckily get any damage at all that I could see. (Back side) is around two millimeters thick on the one for using double sided tape on. The one for the screw is around three mm, Four mm the zip tie one. top straight sides are around two mm with the top bends being around one mm or so.

1 Like

I think the screw on would be best. Two-sided tape could be affected by the weather, zip ties could be cut. I think the screw on would be the hardest for someone to walk away with.

1 Like

The only thing they would have a hard time getting away with would be the base part with the screw and that wouldn’t take much. They could pry it off fairly as it’s just a few millimeters of plastic. More than likely they would just pull the cap, toss it and walk away with your sentinel. If it was made of metal it would be a Faraday cage and block any signal from your sentinel. About the only thing you could do is try to find a place without to much foot traffic and hide them someplace out of site and that’s still no guarantee that they won’t disappear on you. I’m printing some with lids now to see how they turn out but I know that i’ll have to do some adjusting. I was thinking (K.I.S.S.), why not put them in plastic bags and then attach them? Could get the smallest parts bag you could find and even paint the bags to camouflage them a little. Just a thought.

1 Like

You’re right of course. If it can be seen, it can be taken. I guess I was excited by the prospect of a case. I’ll think about a camouflage bag of some sort.
Cheers.

1 Like

Just downloaded a design that takes two screws to hold the base on & a snap on cover that fits it on Thingiverse with the other designs

2 Likes

Thanks Coldcountryboy. I’ll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Awesome super sweet

Thanks I would appreciate the feedback.

This is great! I was trying to figure out something like this to attach a watch strap to as well, this could easily. Have 2 slots added to the sides. Since I currently keep a sentinal loose in my pocket if not with my keys, no one can see it. But it would certainly be a conversation starter and thus an opening to tell someone about XYO.

1 Like

I modified the zip tie file to take a 17 mm Velcro battery strap. I will get the file uploaded to Thingiverse in the next day or so.

1 Like