Total noob here, some general questions

Right now I have the coin app and 1 sentinel (waiting for my kit). Some questions for you all…

When I’m sitting at work does it pay to leave my coin app open?
Same for at night at home?
Any idea how long it takes the kit to come in?
Does having more sentinels equal more coins?
I take it when you are driving more squares on the map is better? Sitting at work only shows 1 square.

Thanks!! Having fun with this and almost at 1K coins.

4 Likes

@madmartyk Hello, I would be happy to answer your questions!

Well as for having the COIN app open at work or at home, you will only be mining the same squares over and over; now that is not a bad thing, you will still receive tokens from these, but if you are stationary, then the COIN app has to wait about 4 minutes for the square to be mineable again. So yes overnight and at work may rack you up about one hundred extra coins a day, maybe a little more. However, there is one downside to this if you have a phone with an AMOLED display, which most modern smartphones have. AMOLED displays when left on the same screen for a long time, have a tendency to experience what is called Burn-In. This is the same type of burn in that older TV’s would experience couple years back. Burn-In can leave a permanent image stuck on your phone screen, and the only way to fix it, is to replace the screen. There are apps that claim to fix it, and yes they kinda do fix it, if you don’t mind damaging the rest of your screen. What they do is, flash colors at maximum brightness for hours or days, which in turn lowers the quality/intensity of all the pixels around the damaged pixels from the original Burn-In, which then makes the Burn-In harder to see. But this is also lowering the quality of your screen. So if you are going to keep it open all night and all day, I recommend turning the auto-brightness off, and bringing the level of brightness all the way down as low as it can go, this will lower the chance of Burn-In occurring, or just use a crappier phone that you don’t really care risking the Burn-In.

The kit took a couple weeks for me to get after purchasing, but it was well worth the wait!

Having more sentinels does not give you more coins on your COIN app while mining. However, you can hand one or two out to other people who may want to mine coins for you. That can be done in one way, each person must use their own login for the COIN app, just like you are doing now for your account, but then they have the choice when they reach 10K coins to deposit them in any crypto wallet, so if they are willing, you can give them your crypto wallet address, and add them to your stash of coins. Don’t use your login on someone else’s phone running the app at the same time, this is considered spoofing, and they will cancel your account, and take your coins.

And yes the more squares you can drive or walk over, the more coins you will mine. Sitting in one place makes the COIN app wait about 3 or 4 minutes until that same square is mineable again. But if your driving or walking, every time you are over a new square, as soon as the app finishes mining one square it will move onto the next, its about 15 to 20 seconds at the most. So you will earn many more coins by driving then staying in one place.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me anything else you may be wondering!

ReconCatLord

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!! I have noticed going back and forth to work I get a lot of squares, and yes I have gotten 4, 10 and a couple 13 coin squares already.

3 Likes

@madmartyk good questions and welcome to the Geohacker Forum. ReconCatLord is a knowledgeable and very helpful forum member, and I head up Communications at XYO. Holler with any questions and we’ll take care of you as you get more involved.

5 Likes

Thanks!! Just waiting for my kit!!!

2 Likes

@madmartyk When you get your kit let me know and I can help you with the setup and sorting everything out! And Welcome to XYO! Happy Mining!

1 Like

Can you set up the coin app on say an iPad or iPad mini? I think if it has wireless and bluetooth it would work correct? I realize they have to have different accounts, but I have one of each just sitting around doing nothing.

Also, does the coin app work when not connected to the network via 4G or wireless? Have a plane trip coming up, wondering if I can leave the app on and collect.

1 Like

@madmartyk Yes the COIN app will work on an ipad, pretty much all iOS devices, and all android devices. And you’re correct, if you have wireless and bluetooth, your device should be able to still pull location data and work to earn you coins.

The COIN app needs some type of data connection to be able to interact with the network. I’m not sure how it would react if you had wifi in the plane, that would be interesting to see, maybe it could still mine squares.

ReconCatLord

Is there a windows version that will run on a laptop?

1 Like

@madmartyk Well do you plan on moving around a lot with your laptop while its open, if not your going to be mining the same square over and over. There is no windows version, however…there is a way to run android apps on your PC, so you could do that if you really wanted to. Its called BlueStacks, search for it on Google and you will see what I am talking about. Its not to hard to setup as long as you have a google account, and then you can emulate most apps right on your laptop. Hope this helps!

ReconCatLord

Reconcatlord know what’s up!!

1 Like

I used an old call phone. Everything seems to be working it saw my existing sentinel and complained about spoofing the network. It has a new account (different E-Mail) so I don’t understand why I got the message, are 2 coin programs not allowed to see the same sentinel?

@madmartyk They both would be using the Sentinels public Bluetooth address, and that data would be routed back to the network and would see those two phones in basically the same location were using the same Sentinel, so the data would be redundant. I will have to inquire more about this, but I am guessing that is the issue. To fix that issue, if your not using your normal phone at night to connect to some other Bluetooth device while you sleep, you could just make sure you close your COIN app fully and turn off the Bluetooth on it. Then let the extra phone just stay open all night and run on that Sentinel. In the morning or whenever you leave the house, just grab the Sentinel and turn your Bluetooth back on your main phone. Let me know if that works for you.

1 Like

@madmartyk are you sure you didn’t just get the initial “Don’t Spoof!” warning message everyone gets the first time you start up COIN on a new device? I don’t think the devices care that they are using the same sentinel but I have a couple in each location so I haven’t really tested that.

2 Likes

@_ryan @madmartyk Good Point @_ryan, it could have been that, because I have not been able to find any other cases of spoofing from two devices using the same Sentinel.

ReconCatLord

That’s what it was. Everything on the old phone was running great until the screen blanked out (It was a phone with a broken screen).

Next question:
Staking, I have XYO on the mainnet, I can see them in my wallet and the XYO Matrix page. Is staking active? If so how do I stake my coins?

If you run multiple stationary devices with COIN apps, place then in different squares, otherwise the just split the yield between them.

1 Like