PSA - Overheating Bridge

Just an FYI to everyone setting up their new sentinels and bridges a word of warning. The Raspberry PI3 bridge will overheat, when laid flat on a desktop for instance, and connected directly with a LAN cable. Apparently, it’s working harder because of better bandwidth compared the second one, which is connected via WIFI only. In my case, the app crashes when the PI overheats. There is a temp warning on the dashboard of the app in the upper right corner of the screen. You have to manually restart the app. Which is a problem for a standalone device.

I made some “legs” for the base with some 3/4" long #8 machines screws and bolts that raise the frame a half an inch off the surface. Overheat warning is gone now. I suggest that you implement a method of auto-restarting the app if it crashes! But I’m no coder so I have no idea what’s involved.

2 Likes

Good looking out. Designing fan supports for it now

2 Likes

@ricthesoundguy and @K3VtheOfficial Hey Fellow GeoHackers! So I had the same issue also, I noticed my bridge kept freezing up and the little temp/thermometer icon would be showing on the display. Sooo…I found a really great little item that has helped me with my gaming laptop, some overclocking of other mobile devices and its fantastic for this situation. I am going to put a link to the one I purchased from Amazon; I hope that is allowed, I am in no way saying you have to get this exact model, two or three companies make this vacuum style mini blower device. It has the ability to be set at a certain temp to kick on from the air its pulling in, plus it can also be manually set to 13 different speeds. Its pretty quiet on almost all levels, and I have measured up to a 19 degree drop in temp when using it on max on a very high powered gaming laptop. It can attach to so many different things and I am sure you could rig it to fit anything. Well anyhow, enough babbling here is the Link, I found it to be worth the money!

-ReconCatLord :telescope::cat2::crown:

I use inch high thumb tacks and just cut off the needle point with some snips. I then crazy glue them as legs to the 4 corners.

1 Like

I plan to use 4 spare lego minstorm pices when mine arrives.

Would something like this work for cooling a bridge?

It will!

But 4 1/2" #6 machine screws and 8 nuts make a set of standoff feet that solves the problem. Go DIY man!

Had to edit again…lol, mine are so old now they are dusty…

1 Like

Is there anything to prevent XYO from devaluing the coins we are collecting to nothing and then never paying anyone for all this work we’re doing? What guarantees do we have from XYO for anything? They sell us dodgy goods at inflated prices, refuse to provide any kind of reasonable support, and then censor people who mention these things or complain. Did you ever know of a company that never answers its phones? Like you’re calling the Queen of England or something? They have a directory, but no one seems to be connected to it. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a less customer friendly or a more communication challenged company than XY. They seem to like themselves a whole lot, but maybe they need to let the rest of us in on the coolness, because from here, they look like a bunch of overinflated tech heads with no real product, but big balls to sell air wrapped in cheap plastic, so naturally, they refuse to be accountable to anyone. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe I need to do some legal research.

I think the prudent thing to do as an investor, is to try and solve any actual hardware or software problems you have. There are plenty of people here that are happy to offer detailed information about hardware, firmware and apps. Some of us have been fully successful in setting up and maintaining our personal XYO networks. Many helpful investors like yourself and I have posted answers and suggestions to almost any technical question we have been able to solve. I think the devs are busy trying to solve the unsolved.

It seems you are looking for larger answers that don’t exist yet. They are still formulating the equation, and we are all factors in it.

Your Zen Koan for the day…take a breath!

1 Like

Please don’t condescend to me and tell me to take a breath, I’m not a child, and I’m tired of being spoken to by people from this project as though I am.

I am not in good health, I do not have time to sit on these groups, ask questions, read 25 different answers, none of which answers my particular questions, only to find out that there are no answers to my questions, which is why they are being ignored.

I have never dealt with any tech company that does not keep an up to date user guide online where it can be accessed, and answers are clearly and accurately answered. I have never had to pass some kind of appropriateness test to post in a snobby group of insulters to get a simple answer about a product I purchased.

I have build websites, message boards, and I once had a radio show online, that I had to set up myself, because that was long before products and services existed that make it easy. I have patience and the ability to learn new things, but why should anyone have to do XYO’s R & D for them for free, after paying hyper inflated prices for the tools with which to do so?

Maybe this project seems okay to you, but people who don’t answer telephones, who censor critics and unwelcomed questions, who have to rely on unpaid volunteers to provide customer support just don’t seem okay to me.

I want a refund, but of course, there is no one from XY) who will deign to so much as respond to my request for that. So maybe it’s time to go back on the radio and do some consumer reporting. If XYO requires me to spend my own precious time, with no guarantee and ever waning hope that there will ever be any kind of return, I’ll spend my time asking the questions they refuse to ask to a larger audience. My time is mine, I’ll spend it how I determine to spend it. I am not free labor for a bunch of lame ass tech heads at best and crooks at worst. And I won’t have to dress up like Mama’s Favorite Big Man , jump up and down, make pretty patterns on white boards, and generally be useless while looking like I’m doing something really cool to get my non-point across. This is what XYO looks like to me, and I’ve been a business consultant , run my own businesses, and had one of the greatest business success stories of all times created from my spare bedroom, so it’s not like I’m a moron. I’m that EVERYONE who XYO keeps falsely advertising to, so they can find more customers for their overpriced groovy gear.

I’m not “from this project.” I’m just another person who bought the same shit you did. Good luck on your refund.

1 Like

It’s a crypto so it will find its own value based on whether t has a function. So… remains to be seen.

That’s excellent. Here’s my version…

Mike Reiter
:notes:Vikki and Mike​:notes:
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Cell: 352-455-0313
mikeyr.reiter@gmail.com

1 Like

Katie, this thread is for over heated bridges, not over heated customers and/or investors. BTW, I have voiced complaints similar to yours, including Scott’s verbosity. Frankly, I’d rather endure thumbscrews than watch his videos.

I am both a customer and an investor in XY/XYO. I consider both as speculative. Before you make any final determination I strongly recommend that you read Scott’s “The Future of XYO.” If nothing else, you can enjoy him eating a little bit of crow. The enterprise has lost focus and they are taking structural steps to regain focus. It’s about damned time they did…

2 Likes

I’m sorry to have intruded on the bridge discussion. I would have happily started a new topic, but I don’t have that function. Not sure if that’s just me, or everyone. So may rules and laws for communication in this XYO project! Maybe if they opened up to hearing things they don’t like to hear, they might figure things out. I once had a company that sold consumer product reviews to manufacturers and service providers. Successful companies pay A LOT of money to hear their products be criticized and even vilified. That is priceless information, and those who respect it benefit from the knowledge. The Scotts of the world have to learn by defeat and humiliation, if ever.
Business is a formula that involves a product or service in exchange for money. No one invested in XYO for being a marketing company for insanely overpriced fan gear, that’s the problem.

I’m glad I’m not alone, and I did read the paper from Scott. It angered me, but it also validated my observations that Scott is trying to run a cult of personality, not a valid business. His statement that his project will never be understood by the masses did me in. All I have heard from XYO in response to any question is a lengthy and condescending lecture about how the network works. Some strategy for someone who does not believe his customers and investors have the ability to understand what he is selling. Having a good idea is a far cry from developing that idea into a viable and profitable business. I don’t see that Scott has progressed beyond that point, even though he now is seeing some of his mistakes. The real mistake is Scott focusing on what Scott wants for Scott, and not the well-being of the investors who he’s seduced into his little dream.

I would love for this project to work, I have invested a lot of money in extra equipment to make it work on my end. My equipment works and worked right out of the box, and even has clearly written and easy to follow user guides. Fathom that!

I know they will never refund my money, Scott already spent it on his groovy tech genius wardrobe, but that doesn’t mean that I’m planning on not continuing to ask for it, because that would be the right thing to do. Otherwise, I’ll just keep hanging around and see what happens,

Cannot reason with internet trolls…

3 Likes

Just curious, how is this working in keeping from overheating? or is buying a fan inevitable?

The fan MIGHT be overkill. I strongly recommend fabricating legs to get it off the surface… Okay, I recently added a 20mm fan. Plugs into a USB port on the bridge…

Mike Reiter
:notes:Vikki and Mike​:notes:
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Cell: 352-455-0313
mikeyr.reiter@gmail.com

1 Like

Actually, for myself, since the update (as card) it hasn’t overheated at all. I forgot to unplug one day and was running all day late into evening and was fine.