Potential Competitor to XYO: FOAM

Check out the blockchain company called Foam. Foam seems to be in the exact same space as XY Company and much further ahead. You don’t see Foam using gimmicks and seemingly unethical behavior to advance their strategy. Maybe Foam can scoop up XY Company’s assets when they file bankruptcy in a few months and our worthless XYO can be converted to FOAM…

3 Likes

I use both applications. As of right now I see XYO as a more advanced project because its hardware is already heavily embedded in the eco-system.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, I’ll take a look :eyes:

@NiknX
You use both applications? Is there a FOAM app? Couldn’t find one on iOS

But…you have to first own FOAM to participate and stake it each time you help map.

1 Like

Yep that’s looks like how it works, haven’t researched fully yet but I gather you have to buy FOAM then stake it, then you do the legwork populating the map :world_map: with POI information but it’s not clear how you get a return on investment?

Also it said something about having radio :radio: equipment?? I’m guessing this is akin to an XY sentinel but it doesn’t seem to say where you can acquire this equipment.
I’ll certainly look at it more closely when I have a chance but so far I’m not convinced it has any merit.

1 Like

Read some of their white paper and technical paper on my break and I think this one is for proper techies and big businesses.
It is an interesting endeavour but it’s not for the average man on the street and I’d say it is way behind the XYO Oracle network.
When it is up and running it could be deemed as a competitor it it’s no where near being a threat any time soon.
They seem to be going after the same core idea as XY but are approaching the solution in a totally different way. If anything I’d say the existence of the FOAM project strengthens my confidence in XY as they are not the only company out there trying to develop a geospatial oracle network. One thing to note was there Technical white paper has a huge ‘Draft’ water mark splashed across it and the admit that the radio beacon network they describe is an emerging technology that may never be adopted. It does not say they are developing the technology and it admits that the wireless part of the network would be implanted at the expense of FOAM participants which they call ‘Cartographers’.
One to watch I think but right now I don’t think there’s anything worth more than a glance unless you’re a coder looking for a new hobby project.

@CryptoLawyer

I’m interest in what makes you think they are ‘further ahead’ I didn’t get that from looking at their various websites and documents.

Could you expand?

1 Like

pinballdreamer,

Did they mention what frequency bandwidth upon which the “radio beacon” network is looking to operate? The FCC has a dearth of bandwidth to allocate and the millimeter wavelengths of 5G work well for small devices but they have limitations and will require more infrastructure. Just curious because bandwidth is a limiting factor in some cases.

1 Like

You use both applications? Is there a FOAM app? Couldn’t find one on iOS

Maybe a bit of miscommunication on my part. Their application is web browser based. XY released a beta last night that is similar to the FOAM map.

1 Like

But…you have to first own FOAM to participate and stake it each time you help map.

My understanding is XY will be releasing updates that encourage people to hodl tokens. Staking with rewards and rewarding people in the COIN app for holding tokens are both on the radar. XY could pretty easily allow people to stake Points of Interest on their next map if they wanted to, at that point they would be well ahead of FOAM. The FOAM protocol technology doesn’t seem complete, I have FOAM staked in 12 POI and 1 Signal and have seen no rewards for doing so.

1 Like

It would seem you have an agenda

Just took a quick look at the FOAM white paper. They are focusing on the geospatial data itself and formatting it on the blockchain. They don’t address how you determine location with the IoT communication with each other or any real alternative to GPS, although they do mention the limitations of GPS. They really are addressing a different aspect of the geospatial problem than is XYO. The two efforts are not necessarily incompatible, but there definitely is no need for two geospatial utility tokens.

2 Likes

I agree. I looked into them a few weeks ago and their goal is to do with cartography, not tracking. And others mention, there is no easy entry to participation for low level users.

2 Likes

My only agenda is to make as much money as possible in cryptocurrency. I have consulted tech startups. Right before they cease as a going concern, they lay off large amounts of staff for a last ditch effort on a skeleton crew.

2 Likes

Not sure…
The talk about LPWAN networks and LoRa radios?

link to whitepaper…

1 Like

You have to be careful what you say to the XYO cultish followers, they are delicate and feel assaulted by opinions that aren’t flattering to XYO. Suddenly words are deadly weapons in this strange world we find ourselves living in. Everyone must be of the same opinion and BIG BROTHER is watching us!

1 Like

We share the same agenda :+1:

Thanks! That is interesting. Everyone has been in a dither that Huawei is ahead in 5G, but the propagation of millimeter bandwidths has limitations as well as advantages. Some of the promising beacon technology had the rug pulled out from underneath them this last spring because Google determined to stop supporting them likely because it was going to undercut Google Ad revenue. The longer waveforms might have some utility in the geospatial use case particularly because the airways are so crowded.

2 Likes

So they only move forward as far as crowd sourcing basically? Doesn’t say crowd sourcing but in the end, kind of seems just that…pay them to work first…hmmm

2 Likes

FOAM chart looks good.

1 Like