Anyone Setting up an Archive?

Who’s setting up an archive? Using your own hardware or is anyone using something like Amazon web services?

1 Like

I tried doing this on my MacBook Pro :computer: but got lost in computer techie stuff somewhere around Docker

What would be helpful is a sandbox for those new to tipping a toe into the development world.

2 Likes

yes yes yes

1 Like

Yes, UP!

1 Like

I was wondering the same myself. It really depends on the hardware requirements (Pizzamind commented elsewhere on this forum that the specs are to be determined). Can I set something up like a Pi that doesn’t suck power “mining” or does it have to be a relatively high-end workstation that’s going to quadruple my power use at home?

So I started to look into a cloud service, even just so I wouldn’t have to host at my house. Even if there was a small net cost to me, I think it would be worth it. I did notice that Goggle’s service specifically states “crypto mining” is prohibited during the free trial (all services have a trial period). I think running a Diviner and/or Archivist isn’t really “crypto mining” but I bet it’s “all crypto is bad” thinking and you’d get the boot if caught. I can only guess that traditional proof-of-work crypto mining is not cost effective to use a cloud service or everyone would be doing it (perhaps why they prohibit it during the free trial).

Right now I’m working through setting up a diviner and archivist in a VM. If I get it working correctly I just might try running it in the cloud to see if I can get it to work. Haven’t decided which service to use yet.

2 Likes

Any info on what and how you achieved it would be awesome

2 Likes