Android XYO Network App not registering Sentinel

need some help please. Been all week trying different things but cannot seem to Register a sentinel as Firmware update keeps failing… Here is some history and some images in the word document attached…

Some history : My Android is an Android SM-G900I version 6.0.1

1. Uninstalled the old Net App and installed the Android current version in Google Play (Version name: v10.18 & Version Number:51 …
  2. Powered off & Powered On phone.
  3. Checked COIN app to see that Sentinel was detected and it was OK…
  4. Shutdown COIN App
  5. Logged into XYO Network App (ensured Bluetooth was on )
  6. Went to find sentinel by using button (bottom right) on XYO Net App in order to see sentinel to register
  7. Only Mobile Device (Bridge) was listed . No Sentinel was found… Sentinel was near phone and had been detected when COIN was logged in …
  8. At any given point there was only ONE Sentinel near phone , all the rest had their batteries removed.

After several attempts for uninstalling & reinstalling app and powering on phone I now see 4 Bridges in the Network App… Not sure why I see 4 bridges as my Hardware Bridge is not even set yet. Just wondering

1. I have also tried replacing the battery in the Sentil with a new battery but no luck. Issue persists
  2. Tried using a completely different Sentinel and no luck there either…
  3. Checked BlueTooth settings & Location and all were on each time trying to register sentinels…
  4. Have looked at all the documentation and you tube videos to ensure I had not missed out on a step…

Getting really frustrated as I cannot find a solution.

If someone could please offer some assistance here it would be appreciated.

Every time you close and reopen the XYO it creates a new bridge, you need to delete the extra ones.

Did you ever try to set a password on that sentinel? If you did there is a known glitch that may have locked you out until devs fix it.

1 Like

@Bitman are you actually connected to other BT devices while you are trying to flash the firmware? Your screen cap kind of suggests you might be paired and connected to your laptop? Sounds like you are mostly doing the right stuff, can only suggest:

1. Turn off wi-fi on your phone.
  2. Make sure you aren’t paired and connected with any other device… maybe go somewhere “quiet” away from other signals just to be sure.
  3. If you have a volt meter, measure your battery to make sure it is relatively new, don’t assume it’s good because you just bought it or got in in a new sentinel device (i can tell you, most of the batteries i measured right out of the box in “new” sentinels were practically drained).
  4. Place the phone and sentinel down next to each other and don’t move them until you are done and have to enter a password and name for the sentinel.

I can tell you the battery drain on doing a firmware seems somewhat significant… i started with a 3.33v battery and did 5 updates in a row by moving that battery to the next unit… when I got done I was at 3.18v. I seem to mostly lose the ability for COIN to see a sentinel right around the 3.00v mark… at 2.85v I had a completely dead sentinel.

Other than that, maybe it’s time to get a new phone. I had a Nexus 5 running Android 6.01 that I loved and kept for over 4 years… but the BT was always flakey as hell on it… don’t know if that was hardware or software reasons, but I finally pulled the trigger on a new phone last month (Moto g7 running Android 9)… BT has been rock solid and it doesn’t labor to run/install software like my Nexus 5 did. Tempted to pull out my Nexus 5 and try to update a sentinel with it, but really don’t want to brick it just to satisfy my curiosity… good luck!

If the COIN app is detecting the sentinel, the sentinel is live and working at a basic level. That is why I suspect a password-lock out. I have that exact situation with my sentinel. Works on COIN, ignored by XYO app.

Thxs all, I will go through your responses and come back to you shortly with my responses to any questions before I prepare a Plan of Action… Cheers

In the meantime can some help tell me action bunnyhunger’s recommedation above to delete the Bridges

when I “View All Devices” on Newtork App… then select one of the 4 Bridges , I cannot delete it cause its not even registered… Doesn’t give any options to… Same applies to rest of them… Here is the screenshot image of one of the 4 Bridges listed in View all Devices…

Ok Thxs All , here is the latest updates .

Your Questions Answered

bunnyhunger : Every time you close and reopen the XYO it creates a new bridge, you need to delete the extra ones.
Answer : My initial question was how do u do that ?.
Answer : But this Arvo we(Aby/Shoshi assisted in Telegram Group) worked it out. All useless(4) Bridges deleted! So Done & Dusted !
Did you ever try to set a password on that sentinel?
Answer: NO. Never got anyway near setting a password and never had a Sentinel registered either so can’t see it being account locked

Ryan
Are you actually connected to other BT devices while you are trying to flash the firmware?
Answer: No there are no other BT devices found around me…
Your screen cap kind of suggests you might be paired and connected to your laptop?
Answer: Yes screen shows “Paired” but Laptop is powered off, so i guess it just remembers I had paired in the past.

Suggestions Given:
	Turn off wi-fi on your phone. **Will try that as well.**.
	Make sure you aren’t paired and connected with any other device… maybe go somewhere “quiet” away from other signals just to be sure. 
		**Answer**: Not Paired with anything and turned home network router OFF .. So no Ethernet or wireless in the house..(no doof doof :)   

If you have a volt meter, measure your battery to make sure it is relatively new, don’t assume it’s good because you just bought it or got in in a new sentinel device (i can tell you, 
	most of the batteries i measured right out of the box in “new” sentinels were practically drained). 
		**Answer** : ummm Don't have one a volt meter but appreciate the suggestion 

Place the phone and sentinel down next to each other and don’t move them until you are done and have to enter a password and name for the sentinel. 
		**Answer**: Never moved phone or Sentinel ... Never got that far to enter a password or name on sentinel... 

Next Action plan

1. Delete those 4 redundant Bridges on my phone? RESOLVED: 1/06/2019 Aby & Shoshi assisted me how to do that via iOS ( see Telegram Chat).
    If u want to know how it was resolved, check Telegram chats around Saturday @12:16pm AEST
  2. Now I have only 1 Bridge listed on the Android Network App ( resolved by point 1 above )… So back top the start with all the recommendations above …
  3. Ensure no BT devices connected/paired around me with my phone.
  4. Turn OFF wi-fi on phone
  5. Turn off router in my home network <<< This is extreme but I’m ensuring NO home network issue… I’ll use the IP provider network instead…
  6. Ensure only 1 sentinel is available for registration. (If firmware update doesn’t work, then keep retrying with another battery)

Possible workaround (Phone A) - Existing

1. Install Android Network App on another recent version of Android on (Phone B) -(using my existng account if possible! )
  2. Login on Phone B using my existing Network App account. ( If allowed OR if it doesn’t cause further issues !! )
  3. Perform firmware update to register Sentinel (Ensure only 1 sentinel is available for registration and follow all the recommendations for BLT devices around)
  4. If this works then I can proceed to try setting up Hardware Bridge with all registered Sentinels.
  5. (Phone B) will therefore become my Mobile Bridge. “But has it inherited something from other (Android Phone B) that will cause further issues ???”
  6. (Phone A) could still be used as my COIN app given it works already without any issue.
  7. (Phone A) XYO Network App could/should be uninstalled. - Given (Android Phone B) is now my Mobile Bridge ?

Failing any of the above ( Last Option )

1. Buy New recent Android Mobile phone. ( This is NOT what I expected to have to do but if LAST option is to do that then so be it…)
  2. Download Android COIN & XYO Network App on NEW ANDROID PHONE and login using existing account…
  3. Proceed with Firmware Upgrade instructions… and lets see what happens !!!